- Assessments/claims needed to be about tone. If you were not here Tuesday to reassess, you will need to take this home and turn it back in by Wednesday, but ONLY after you conference with me!
- To review tone, we looked at several examples of statements found on Tumblr and Twitter, regarding people’s opinions about the jury’s decision. You saw several posts such as “I hate America. I’m leaving, This is crap”.
- We then broke down the tone of this and students said it sounds “untrustworthy (of the judicial system), overdramatic, over reactive and aggressive”.
- We then came up with the claim: “Because of the grand jury’s decision regarding the Ferguson case, American’s illustrate an aggressive tone”.
Today: What is connotation?
- Read and annotate the editorial and prepare for tomorrow's discussion & assessment.
- Idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to the primary meaning; could be cultural or emotional